Okay, so if you know me personally, you know that for some reason I just am very rarely in the majority when it comes to my book reviews. Books people would sell their kidney for, I just don’t like… at all. So, I thought today was a great day to spread negativity and to throw some shade at some favorites! I’m totally joking, if you love these books that’s incredible, but sadly they just weren’t for me. 😦
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Okay, so this isn’t an extremely unpopular opinion, but I just cannot stand this book. I’m just going to list my reasons instead of going into a full on rant:
- the main character is SO TRIVIAL AND ANNOYING
- this book is SO predictable (in my opinion)
- the pacing is absolutely horrific, I struggled so much with certain parts
- there is no depth to the characters; I built no emotional connections
- LOVE TRIANGLE (and bonus! IT’S ALL THE MC TALKS ABOUT)
- SO MUCH POTENTIAL!!! This book could’ve been so amazing if Aveyard focused more on the rebellion and the long standing battle between Reds and Silvers instead of Mare’s love triangle!!!
- Overall, it really isn’t a horrible book, it is just so basic and had so much potential to be something new and incredible.
2. The Young Elites Trilogy by Marie Lu
I read this with a friend after reading and LOVING Legend by Marie Lu. Everyone FREAKED OUT about how DARK and twisted these books are. I DON’T GET IT. Now, I enjoyed the first two books and gave them an average rating, but I in no way found the main character to be “dark”. She wasn’t even morally gray in my opinion, she had reasoning for whatever dark thoughts she did have (which to me weren’t all that dark but oh well). Also I kind of hated the last book in the trilogy whoops.
3. Warcross by Marie Lu
This book was the greatest disappointment of my life… I really shouldn’t have read Legend first because, to me, it all went downhill from there. This is the most recent Marie Lu novel I’ve read and first, I struggled so much to get through the beginning. It wasn’t a bad book by any means, it was just literally a complete copy of elements from all of her other books, especially Legend. Even an EXACT NAME was reused, which really just got to me. They aren’t even set in the same universe! Despite this, the book picked up and I loved the descriptive action scenes that Marie Lu does so well. Then once again, the end of the book was a struggle. I could stand it not being creative in the middle because I really enjoyed the characters. BUT, this should have been a standalone. I don’t care what anyone says, the ending to this book was FORCED. It would have been 3 million times better as a standalone and no one can convince me otherwise.
4. Simon vs. the Homosapien’s Agenda by Becky Albertalli
This book has a VERY problematic and offensive line about lesbians that I did not like, but disregarding that, this book was just average in my opinion. I’m sorry, but the writing didn’t blow me away, the plot wasn’t crazy or unique, and it was just an average contemporary for me.
Okay, I think that is all I have at the moment for unpopular opinions. Please let me know some of yours in the comments!!! (ALSO THE LAST BOOK IN THE KISS OF DECEPTION SERIES WAS HORRIBLE AND AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP THROUGH AND THROUGH COMMENT IF YOU AGREE BECAUSE FOR SOME REASON THAT IS AN UNPOPULAR OPINION.)